Thursday, January 9, 2014

I'm Supposed to Fight in That?

Disclaimer: This is a post about video games. No, I am probably not ready for the harassment and hate that is probably going to come from writing this.

So iMac recently got me into playing video games with him. Specifically Final Fantasy XIV. I have to say I am enjoying it way way too much. But I've noticed a trend that I find more funny than anything else, basically: why does the fighting gear show off so much damn skin?


That is a leather onesie. I'm not sure how that outfit is supposed to be durable in a fight against wild creatures and evil demon bosses. Listen, I'm not trying to make an argument about video games being sexist. That topic has been discussed ad nauseam and frankly the male characters wear a very similar outfit. I'm just saying, there is too much skin showing for me to be fighting anyone in this. One swipe to the stomach and my intestines will be falling out.


This is my character at a later point in the game where I am literally wearing a metal bikini. This gear has fairly good stats in the game and doesn't take much damage, but really it would be completely unrealistic to wear this outside of the game. Also note that every guy in that dungeon with me is checking out the metal bikini.


This is Imac's character in the game, and supposedly his character is wearing a "skirt."

Now, I know its a video game and real world logic does not apply to it. I'm just wondering what the game designers were thinking when they said "yeah lets make this class of characters looking like they aren't wearing pants" or "Metal bikinis sound great to fight in." I might as well be wearing a giant clown nose and an 18th century petticoat for as realistic as these garments would be to fight in.


In fairness, this is a picture of Imac and my character later in the game where we get to rock out full outfits.

So is it just me that thinks the metal bikini is a weird choice?
All of these stories are mine except the ones that aren't. Pictures are property of their creators. Powered by Blogger.