Thursday, August 15, 2013

Hormonal Rage or Lack Thereof

DISCLAIMER: So I'm about to talk about girly stuff and if you are at all uncomfortable with that I suggest leaving now.

Okay so truth time: In February Imac and I had a pregnancy scare. Nothing to worry about but we thought we should be more careful and so I went back on birth control. Now I have had a mostly love-hate relationship with birth control for ever. I love the thought of not getting pregnant ever but I hate all the side effects that comes along with it. I am one of those people if the drugs have side-effects, I am going to feel them. I mean I take one benadryl and I'm out could for three hours,

My history with birth control has been varied. I started off with the Depo-Provera shot during high school and the beginning of college. On the plus side, I didn't have my period for like 6 years.
Which kind of felt like this

On the flip side, the Depo made me gain weight (which was also probably because of my diet and sedentary lifestyle at the time) and it killed my sex drive.

Then during my first job (also known as when I had health insurance), I went back on birth control after a couple years off of it. First I was on the pill (I have no idea what kind) and it was MISERABLE. The hormones made me sick almost everyday. I would wake up feeling nauseous and go to bed feeling nauseous. During my period I would have such debilitating cramps that I didn't even want to get out of bed. I actually called in sick to work more than once due to cramps (this is also when I had a job with sick days). I eventually went back into my gyno and had them switch me off the pill to the patch, which both my mother and a friend had tried and loved.

HUGE MISTAKE. The patch was just as bad as the pill. I was sick all the time with the same debilitating cramps, plus I couldn't keep the patch on. I mean the concept behind the patch is that you wear a patch every week for 3 weeks and then have a week off. Except I couldn't keep them stuck to me. I'd put a patch on my stomach on Sunday and by Wednesday it would be falling off my skin. I would have to keep pressing them to my skin. I even used band-aids a couple times to keep them on. This didn't just happen once or twice. THIS.HAPPENED.EVERY.WEEK. for months.

It was obnoxious

Eventually I gave up on the patch around the time I started Grad school. So I had been off birth control for about 4-5 years when Imac and I decided it was time for me to go back on it. I was really hesitant about going back on because my history hasn't been great. I'm back on the pill this time but I asked for a low-dose hormone one and it hasn't been horrible. I don't have the horrible cramps and sickness this time. But it has completely killed my sex drive. I love having sex and now Imac wants to get frisky and I'm all...


It's not optimal but it could be worse too. There are some other weird side effects this time that I am not going to go into (because no one needs to hear about those). I've only been on the pill since March but I'm already ready to be off it again. I just have to figure out how to get Imac to agree to it (thats never going to happen).

I hope haven't scared anyone with this gross overshare. But feel free to overshare back, anyone else had problems with all the birth control hormones?
All of these stories are mine except the ones that aren't. Pictures are property of their creators. Powered by Blogger.