Tuesday, July 16, 2013

June Just Wasn't My Month

I know I disappeared for awhile and I would love to say that it won't happen again but we all know it totally will. Basically the month of June kind of sucked for me, and that has lead me into a non-blogging phase because I wasn't sure what to really say without being all whiny and woe-is-me. The short version is that I had to pay $550 to get the brakes on my car fixed (which was my entire months rent) and then I turned around and got fired from my job.

Okay, fired might not be the right word but I'm not sure what is. I guess I got "let-go." This is starting to become a pattern with me and I don't particularly like it. In my defense I got fired for standing my ground. When I had taken the job with Digital Marketing Firm I had to sign a Non-Disclosure agreement (NDA), which I read and signed. Not long after the company got back from our conference in May, my boss drafted a new NDA and gave it out to the staff. There was a clause in this new NDA about legal liability that didn't sit right with the majority of the staff. So three of my coworkers took the NDA to their lawyers all of which said "don't sign that." Apparently the clause pretty much made us (the staff) open to a lawsuit by clients for work we did for the company. It said "work done without approval" but our boss is shady and tells us to do things all the time (like lie to clients) and wouldn't be above telling us to do something and then saying he didn't say that when a client sued over it. One of my coworkers just straight out quit (he had been unhappy anyways) but three of us said we simply weren't going to sign that NDA, and when we did that the boss fired all of us. Now he lost 4 members of his 9 member staff in two days, so I'm pretty sure it hurt him as much as it hurt us.

It did feel a little like this for me though

 But yet again I lost my job because I stood my ground to protect myself over the interests of the company I work for. I don't know if its this town or working in digital marketing that has me working for some off the shadiest people I have ever met (this same boss also sexually harassed several of my coworkers who turned him into the state dept. of labor). I guess I will find out when I get out of this town. That has been the real benefit of losing this job, Imac and I can now plan our move to Tampa earlier. We both have job applications out and are going through the process of interviewing at some places. So we are hoping we are going to be able to move before the new year, which couldn't have happened when I still had that job.


In the meantime, I have been waitressing full-time and doing freelance copywriting and social media work for a former coworker who is venturing out with his own company. So it's kept me plenty busy not blogging. But don't worry, I'm pretty sure I am ready to be back with a vengeance.
All of these stories are mine except the ones that aren't. Pictures are property of their creators. Powered by Blogger.