Thursday, April 4, 2013

Open Letter: It is 2013 right?

Dear North Carolina:


You know I love you, right?

 I only spent the better part of my 28 years in your great state. It hurt me when I moved to South Carolina and had to give up my NC driver's license. In my heart of hearts I know I will always be a NC girl.

But I have to ask: What the hell are you thinking?

I was saddened when you passed the amendment to ban gay marriage in the state, but having lived in the state for so long I know that most North Carolinian's are very religious and don't approve. But to try and propose a bill that would allow the state to declare an official religion is just ridiculous.

You do realize it is 2013 not 1813 right?

Not only is this law never going to fly because it violates the Establishment Clause of the Constitution, and don't think that you aren't using circular logic when you try to argue the Supreme Court doesn't have Judicial Review. I mean Marbury Vs. Madison is single most important Supreme Court Case in the history of the country. Trying to invalidate that is like trying to invalidate air. Even if you managed to win the case in the Supreme Court (which you won't), it would singlehandedly un-do almost everything the Supreme Court has done for the last 200+ years. Do you understand the ramifications of your actions at all?

Lets get serious here. It is 2013. You do not need to establish a state religion. Even if you could get the bill passed what religion would you choose? The religion demographics of North Carolina (from Wikipedia) are: 38% Baptist, 9% Methodist, 10% Catholic, 10% non-religious,  and assorted others. That is hardly a clear majority for any religion.

What is next North Carolina? Are you going to bring back prohibition? Take away women's rights to vote or work? Should all businesses be closed on Sunday because its the day of rest?

Please NC I beg of you, stop acting like an idiot. I don't want to be ashamed of being from there.

All of these stories are mine except the ones that aren't. Pictures are property of their creators. Powered by Blogger.