OPEN LETTER: People of AmericaDear Americans:
We are fighting the wrong battle.
Hear me out: I was doing research (read: checking wikipedia) on the Occupy Wall Street movement and I realized we shouldn't be fighting each other. This shouldn't be poor vs. rich, Republican vs. Democrat, Gays vs. Straights. There will always be rich people and there will always be poor people and there will always be people who don't agree with what you believe in. There will always be a difference of opinion. But those aren't the people we should be fighting
We should be fighting Congress.
Those fucking bastards are screwing us over left and right and we are letting them. Think about it. The top 10% richest people in America pay 90% of the taxes (actual statistical fact from a Political Science book). But its not their fault the money doesn't get used well. That's Congress's fault! Congress doesn't spend the money thoughtfully; they spend it on shit to scratch each others backs. Don't believe me? Here are some things Congress has spent money on in the last 20 years**:
- 25 million for an “Arctic region supercomputer" to trap energy from the Aurora Borealis (1992)
- $34 million for screwworm research. Even thought the screwworm has already been eradicated from the United States (1994)
- $1 million for Brown Tree Snake research. The Brown Tree Snake, which is found only in Guam, has not been discovered to be life threatening to humans nor does it have the ability to survive in North America. (1996).
- $100,000 for the preservation and protection of a Revolutionary War gunboat at the bottom of Lake Champlain (1998)
- 3.5 million to refurbish the Vulcan Statue in Birmingham, Alabama (2001 &2002)
- 50 million to build an indoor rainforest in Iowa (2004)
- 25 million for the bridge to nowhere in Alaska (2005)
- 500,000 for the Sparta Teapot Museum in Sparta, North Carolina (2006)
- 98,000 to develop a walking tour of Boydton, Virginia (2008)
- $1.9 million for a water taxi service to Pleasure Beach, Connecticut- population 0 (2009)
- It's high time that the President get a Line-Item Veto: 44 governors have a line-item veto so that they can cut out wasteful spending from otherwise important legislative bills. Congress has tried to do this for the President before but the Supreme Court has overruled it.
- Term Limits for Congressmen: There is no reason that congressmen should be able to be sitting in congress for 40 plus years. Strom Thurmond was 97 years old sleeping in Congress while shit was going on. Presidents can only be President for 10 years at most. I suggest its high-time that Congress have term limits too (I like 12 or 24 years respectively). Congress shouldn't be a career; it should be a civic duty.
Vote Coyote Tits 2020!
**Most of this information can be found here along with lists of other congressional spending items