Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Rejection... and other things i suck at


I'm about to tell you a deep dark secret....

...I do not do well with rejection. Shocker, I know. I seem to have it so well together right? (I can hear you snickering).

Listen, I will be the first to admit that I am an ardent perfectionist. I expect myself to be perfect 24 hours a day 7 days a week. I do not accept failure or defeat.

So when i am faced with those i do not do so well. I run the gambit of emotions: worthlessness, anger, contempt, self-loathing. Basically, i throw myself the worlds biggest pity party complete with Peanut Butter M&M's (or whatever chocolate is within arms distance).

The thing is I firmly believe that everything is within my own control. That every time i get rejected from a job- its my own fault. It couldn't possibly be because someone was more qualified or because i was up against 500 other people. No, it has to be my fault. I should be more qualified, or I should know how to use program XYZ. I go over every minute of the interview, questioning and re-questioning everything i said, everything i did, every face the interviewer made at me.

I feel for my friends, especially G-Fab, who has to talk me down from a complete meltdown every time i am rejected from something. And its happened a lot lately. Since February I have been rejected from 6 PhD schools, 30 jobs and by 2 guys. That's a lot of rejection to take in five months. I'm starting to think I'm the worlds biggest screw-up.

Yes, I realize that this is counter-productive and that I do not actually control everything and everyone in the world. I also realize that good things come to those who wait, but patience is not a virtue i was blessed with. I'm very much a type A personality. I need a plan, a schedule, a course of attack, basically i need something to do. G-Fab suggested I take up a hobby and i have. But i hate not knowing where my life is going. I hate feeling like things are out of my control. And i hate waiting...

On the bright side, things can't get too much worse for me- so things have to start looking up soon. Just bear with me in the interim
All of these stories are mine except the ones that aren't. Pictures are property of their creators. Powered by Blogger.