Sunday, September 21, 2008

Sad Day in Yankeeville

It is a sad day in Yankeeville for one reason more than another. Yes, the Yankees are probably not going to make the playoff this year for the first time I can remember. And that is very sad for us who are accustomed to making it to October. I mean what is Derek Jeter going to do with this time off? But a tragedy in national history is occurring today; tonight the last game (probably) is being played in the original Yankee stadium. For anyone who either doesn't like the Yankees or has been living under a rock, NYC has decided to build a new Stadium for the Yankees (and fairly one for the Mets too). This means they are tearing down the House that Ruth Built. Now I believe they are using the land to build little league baseball fields, so at least it's going to good use.

But for me as Yankee fan, who has never gotten to go to the Stadium, it’s really sad and it makes me kind of angry. This is the Stadium where Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Lou Gehrig, Babe Ruth and a host of other Yankees played. It’s a piece of Americana. Its part of the history of the Yankees and part of the history of America, and its disappointing to me that in the name of progress NYC has decided to tear it down. America doesn’t have that many historical monuments. It’s like France demolishing Versailles; London getting rid of the Tower Bridge: Russia destroying the Winter Palace. That Stadium is a legend within itself. It makes me sad to know that I can never take my children (when I have them) there and say this was where the Yankees won 26 World Series championships. So to Yankee Stadium: Goodbye. It won’t be the same without you.
All of these stories are mine except the ones that aren't. Pictures are property of their creators. Powered by Blogger.